Monday, July 13, 2015

SleepwearStreetwear







    Undoubtedly a conversation piece in recent months - sleepwear turned streetwear. Every which way you turn, bloggers and designers are reinventing themselves or their closets each season. The look I am sharing today is a little bit of both. I took a different approach with the button-down shirt dress, using it as more of a throw-on, perfect for a cool summer night. It is so much easier - not only is it cooler than a sweater, but it looks an awful lot more au courant as well! You can switch up the shape and create different proportions by switching up the shoes, accessories or adding a waisted-belt. 
     The slip dress is not one of the "repurposed" closet items, but it is definitely a new way to see sleepwear as a part of my everyday wardrobe. [I am not much of a fancy sleeper and I usually opt for a tank top or old t-shirt and shorts.] Therefore, if you or someone in your household has some secretly chic pajama pieces - try them out. You might just be pleasantly surprised at how they look when paired with your everyday staples and a pair of sandals or heels. Personally, I am also waiting until I find the right moment to wear a pair of my dad's pink and blue, cotton-striped shorts from the 80's. 
I kept the colors at bay [black is best] the print of the shirt with the lace and other textiles provided enough to look at. Going with the gold clasp on the sandals, I chose a longer gold, geometric necklace, with a shorter handmade piece to complement. For earrings I picked my favorite: small, black & gold studs. Understated, but they still give a little bling with my hair off of my face. My manicure is a dark pink/magenta Essie polish to subtly support the hue of my shoes. Again, hinting at these rosy hues, the ultimate wrist wear from J.Crew, this jeweled cuff. I love doing my own nails lately, I have never spent less time or money on my nails. Not only does it make my schedule less congested but it has finally given me a chance to try out the millions of polishes I have accumulated [like most women]. Finally, last but definitely not least is the vintage handbag I picked up in May and have been waiting to incorporate. I fell in love with the teardrop-locking closure and of course the amazing condition of the leather.




 Style Takeaway: Don't look at the clothes you have in your closet with the same ideas/inspiration from last week's looks. Try something new and go for it, if you don't like it you don't have to wear it. BUT you might also end up finding something totally new and fall in love, like this shirt dress combo slip dress ensemble. Although it might seem mismatched or  just not right, sometimes the unexpected is just what the fashion forecast is calling for. Happy Monday Fashionista/o's xoxo stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment