Thursday, December 3, 2015

Display Depth

I have been so busy lately; it seems that every Holiday Season is almost pleasantly busy. Looking at how fast the fall semester has gone by inspired me to share a little bit of what I have been working on lately! This time of year unveils an ever-present aura of sorts, and having worked on a few holiday windows and other displays, I hope they can share that "feeling in the air…". I will say that I can only aspire to have anything of impact as I am no professional, just a 20-something Fashion Merchandising student in Upstate NY who's trying to gain experience, share my work and keep doing what I love

I have learned so much through: my co-op with The Friends of Strong Gift Shop at Strong Memorial Hospital in the new Golisano Children's Hospital, presently awaiting opening and interning under the guidance of a display expert! Additionally, the work I was able to do this semester in my visual merchandising course at Genesee Community college was amazing and also brought our group of six girls to Charles Mens Shop in Batavia, NY to participate in the annual window display contest that is held in town. These pictures are a better testament than any previous cellphone pictures I might've taken because (drum roll please) I finally upgraded from my iPhone 4s. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, feel free to comment and stay tuned for more of what I'm doing this winter! xo
I was worried that the dog collars left as is in the display case would be mistaken for more lanyards, so I was able to incorporate this plush-puppy for emphasis...
[ advertising class tip - people love puppies
! ]       
                           
















                        

Previously, this merchandise was on display in a wall-case in the hallway and it, as you can see, is a bit overwhelming. However, I tried to at least organize the colors, teams etc. in an aesthetically pleasing way. For example, the makeshift shelf gave the case a lot more depth to catch peoples interest as well as maximize the space. In accordance with the way customers will be approaching the merchandise, having it arranged by team puts ease back into the organized chaos so they can locate their favorite team without issue (if available of course).            





These winter wonderland windows turned out absolutely amazing, from the ground up. Quite literally because in the midst of the initial set-up we realized we would need to raise our entire display about a foot. With heavy buckets holding about 20 lb. of sand for holding other pieces up, we were at a loss for what would allow us to bring every single item, up at least 12 inches. Of course we were ecstatic when the glass cubes were proposed; they were in fact able to hold them and put the display at eye level from the New Peace Garden. Potential crisis - definitely averted. I was especially happy to be able to participate in the making of these displays, as the new location will be opening this Sunday [December 6th].














Charles Mens Shop Window: Batavia, NY with group from Visual Merchandising course.
Theme: Twas' The Night Before Christmas
(hard to see, but there were mens socks hanging from the fireplace in lieu of stockings :p )

Wedding Themed Accessory Display - Visual Merchandising Course with Group.

I brought all of this from my house in a suitcase, some against my mothers will, but she was pleasantly surprised afterwards, actually saying, "Wow, you didn't break anything!"; well worth it because we did well on the project! The tablecloth was the one obvious flaw, however due to the iron suffering trauma and lack of time for steaming we laid it down as is last-minute. Not to mention, this is no ordinary table, it was two filing cabinets on top of one another which myself and the other girls rolled up our sleeves and painstakingly separated these heavy, heavy things. Fun fact: the wine-bottle candle holder lights up, but was not turned on for this photo and the silverware is handmade!

The framed collage I created for our groups'
Day of The Dead, 
Día de Muertos,
shadow-box display theme.
A photo I took for a sample image in a brochure to introduce an upcoming spring event on campus: TeaXDesign, featuring the custom collection made by Professor Donna Erhart! The tea cup and saucer were made a long time ago at the Memorial Art Gallery, when I attended an Alice in Wonderland themed summer camp with my sister! My late night creativity is the reason behind it and I thought it was a unique addition to this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment